You don’t need to go cold turkey to lead a more ethical life here are some ways you can make small changes to lead a more ethical life.
Here is a list of habits you could choose to change pick one for each month or come up with your own ideas.
- Cut out a specific food type eg dairy, meat, honey
- Change a toiletry products to cruelty free, eg soap, toothpaste, shampoo, make up.
- Change a lifestyle area each month eg, cosmetics, food, clothing, cleaning products.
- Change a meal eg breakfast, lunch and dinner to be vegan.
- Change to alternatives for certain food product eg eggs, cheese, chocolate, yogurts…..
- Have a vegan day each week slowly increasing it to 7 days a week.
- Stop eating a type of meat each month
- Change a meal eg breakfast, lunch and dinner to be vegetarian
- Have a meat free day eg One day a week is meat free then up this each month until you have 7 meat free days.
- Don’t use straws
- Don’t use single use plastic bags
- Buy boxes instead of bottles
- Buy water in boxes or glass or better still refill a reusable cup from the tap.
- Reuse and refill packaging
- Eat less processed food which tends to come in plastic packaging
- Pack you lunch in reusable containers
- Avoid disposable plastic razors, toothbrushes
- Buy products made from bio degraebable or recycled materials
- Use paper based cotton buds
- Pledge to only buy from farmers markets
- Shop only in local independent shops
- Don’t shop in supermarkets
- Don’t shop online
- Only buy products from sustainable crops eg: sustainable palm oil
- Use all bits of the paper, print of both sides, save scrap paper until there is no place left for it to be usable.
- Take your own coffee cup and reuse it
- Buy second hand
- Grow your own
- Plant a tree
- Read newspapers/magazines online
Reducing impact on carbon footprint:
- Buy an electric car
- Get solar panels installed
- Walk or cycle shorter journeys
- Car pool and use public transport when you can
- Take your holiday in the uk
- Cut down on your mail by contacting companies to send you communications by email.
- Change your lightbulbs to be LEDs
- Turn off electrics when you don’t need them.
- Compost organic waste
- Save water, shower rather than bath, turn off the tap when you are brushing you teeth.
- Save up your errand for one big journey rather than lots of little ones.
- Aim to produce zero waste, recycle, reuse and donate unwanted items
- Use a company who uses 100% renewable energy